International applicants for Bachelor studies

For a complete, degree-seeking course of studies in Germany, the application process is determined by your pre-university education.

An important part of the application will be the proof of your German language skills.

International school degrees

International applicants for a bachelor’s degree course at a Fachhochschule (University of Applied Sciences) in the state of Baden-Württemberg need to first contact the Centre for International Students Studienkolleg Konstanz, where the international records are validated and the certificate of access to higher education needed for an application is issued. The Studienkolleg Konstanz also checks whether your command of German is sufficient for attending a course of studies with German as the language of instruction.

In case your school leaving certificate does not qualify for direct access to studies at a German university, you will have to pass a test ('Feststellungsprüfung') in four knowledge areas. You can prepare for this test in one of the so-called 'Studienkolleg' centres.

As soon as you have obtained the certificate of access to higher education from the Studienkolleg Konstanz as well as the proof of your German language skills (DSH or equivalent), you can apply for the study programme you desire.

German school degrees

Those who have obtained their certificate of access to higher education (HZB) after finishing their secondary education in Germany have to apply as described here regardless of their nationality.

German citizens with an international school-leaving certificate

German nationals who have attended a secondary school abroad must contact the  regional council ('Regierungspräsidium') in Stuttgart for the acknowledgment of their school-leaving certificates.

'Deutsche Schulen' abroad

Certificates from a 'Deutsche Schule' outside of Germany that is acknowledged by the  'Kultusministerkonferenz' and has the full rights to award the German 'Abitur' are a valid certificate of access to higher education in Germany.

The language certificate 'Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz der Stufe II' is an equivalent to DSH, so that no further proof of language is required.

The application can be sent directly to the University of Applied Sciences of your choice.


The Centre for International Students in Konstanz does not assign university places. They only check your documents (free of charge!) and issue the certificate needed for admission.

Applicants receive a certificate which allows them to apply at Universities for Applied Sciences in the state of Baden-Württemberg. This certificate as well as the proof of German language skills must be attached to your application documents.