Proof of German language

If you have no German school-leaving certificate (nor a 'Sprachdiplom II' from a 'Deutsche Schule' abroad), you will need an official proof of advanced German language skills for admission to a study programme.

The DSH ('Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang ausländischer Studienbewerber') is a test of German for academic purposes and the general requirement for admission of international students to higher education institutions in Germany. It tests your language proficiency in terms of your ability to conduct your studies in German. Alternatively, the TestDaF is also recognized.

You are required to pass one of these exams before commencing your studies. The tests are offered at certain official centres.

As far as the Master’s course in Information Technology at the Mannheim University of Applied Sciences is concerned, the DSH is obligatory to be granted the ‘Master of Science’ degree, however not to be admitted to the actual graduate studies. This means that you will have to pass the language exam successfully before finishing your Master studies.

Language courses and DSH preparatory training for registered Master students are currently offered free of charge at HS Mannheim. The actual exam is taken at the University of Mannheim, where you will be charged a registration fee.

More about the medium of instruction in our Master’s course

Minimum language requirements (for the MSc degree)

  • DSH:
    minimum 67% in all parts
    (corresponds with to DSH 2 or DSH 3)
  • TestDaF:
    minimum of a 4 in all parts
    (not as an average!)

German language examinations